livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Mycorrhizae - natural techniques for increasing?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Mycorrhizae - natural techniques for increasing?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:25:48 -0600

Marty, that NewFarm link opens the door. For those of us looking to improve
on bare-bones organic, this is worth looking into.

* Cultivating beneficial soil fungi to increase yields
Low-cost, on-farm system for producing mycorrhizal fungi
inoculant takes another step forward
http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0404/mf_update.shtml

* Using the ordinary to cultivate the mysterious power of beneficial
indigenous microorganisms
Like a cut-rate magician, Philippine farmer and scientist Gil Carandang
teaches farmers how to use cheap vodka, generic brown sugar, milk, rice and
local soil to harness local microorganisms as invisible workhorses on their
farms.
http://www.newfarm.org/features/0404/microorgs/index.shtml

* FACT SHEET: Mycorrhizae
My-Core-What?
The blow-by-blow on beneficial root fungi, mycorrhizas--rocket boosters for
your plants.
http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0903/factsheet_mycorrhiza.shtml
Having its roots colonized by AM fungi benefits a plant in a number of
ways.
1. Increased nutrient uptake.
2. Increased disease resistance
3. Enhanced water relations
4. Increased soil aggregation

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is ... the
complexity of the land organism. Only those who know the most about it can
appreciate how little we know about it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933