livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feeding the world/

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Andy Hupp" <carbonaceous@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feeding the world/
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:26:57 -0700

"I think that the essential aim is to shoot for the local, the general, rather than proscribe some/THE method."

I agree entirely.

The difficulty comes with the carefully veiled (from the consumer) production and processing system and the impersonal point-of-sale.

Further, an increasingly urban population is more and more disconnected from what their region brings and more and more connected to what the global economy provides (Oil-Food).

I think some people simply get overwhelmed and choose a restricted diet just so they know what to eat.  It's hard to figure out what to eat these days for most people.

That's not to say that some of these specific diets don't hold real value for some people, or that everyone couldn't benefit from aspects of all of  them (for instance, eating less meat, but maybe not zero).

I'm a fan of moderation and variety.

Andy