livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ wasCompost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ wasCompost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:39:59 -0600

Have you ever raised cattle or studied the subject? Surely you know the
enormous amounts of fresh water cattle need, compared to the amount needed
for producing the same amount of food directly for people. Are you unaware
of the effects of all those "byproducts" on animals' meat production, and
on people eating that meat? How much of those "byproducts" could be put to
better use composted for produce growing directly? I wouldn't haul that
stuff to the landfill - would you? Sorry but I can't agree that "Food fruit
and vegtable production requires such high input that only the most suited
ground is worthy of it". And "cows joyously consume the bounty of the
'unusable' land and provide meat, milk, and other products for the people
of the world"? Are you serious? You know nothing of the millions of acres
of corn and other grains grown exclusively for cattle feed in Midwest
feedlots? And really, beef is largely eaten only by the wealthiest nations.
Let's get our facts first.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry