livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic delusions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Catherine Fenner" <c1fenner@comcast.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic delusions
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:35:58 -0600

I've been watching this issue and the responses on-line and off. There are
some who also are concerned about Wal-Mart alterting organic standards to
meet their needs, as evidenced by other matters in their past. I watched the
last year or so those commercials about how they buy from local farmers but
I just don't believe it. And, I don't agree with other opinions here that
large organic farmers will fold first under high oil cost pressures. It's
going to be the small guy that Wal-Mart claims to be buying from that will
be most challenged.

With what little knowledge I have of Wal-Mart's buying, stocking and
distribution practices I think they'll be contracting with the big guy who
can regularly supply large quantities on a regular basis. Keep in mind
those reports that FEMA was so impressed with Wal-Marts reliable delivery of
goods its thinking of contracting with them.

As a big city gal I don't see any but the most discerning and dedicated
organic consumer insisting on local produce. Even if we did, Wal-Mart
doesn't listen to the little guy. They count on people trying to save a
penny there and two cents here hoping it will build up to a more substantial
amount later.

Remember way back when when Wal-Mart advertised Made in America until they
were told to cease and desist? Are you really going to trust that our
definition of organic and theirs is the same?

Bottom line, I think Wal-Mart had it all figured out before they even
breathed a word of their intent, and I think their particular market in some
areas will snap up organic produce. I'm not convinced that stores located in
particularly economically-challenged areas will enjoy the higher sales. When
you're shopping with a very small purse organic produce is a luxury often
put off.