livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic delusions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Greg and April" <gregandapril@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic delusions
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:49:14 -0600

At the same time Paul, I have already seen some organic vegetables in a couple of local Wal-Mart's, and they were priced about the same as the same brand ( Melissa's ) in other grocery stores, which is to say higher than the cost of mass market vegetables. Some local stores don't even carry " organic ", unless it is a major name brand.

If ( and I say IF ), Wal-Mart, wanted to, they could still offer hi quality food stuffs at a lower price, by, spreading the cost across it's other merchandise, in fact I think they already do that to an extent, because going to an organic specialty store, I have seen Melissa's vegetables at a higher price's than at Wal-Mart.

By the same token, Wal-Mart could, actually make organic foodstuffs more profitable for the organic producer, by making them more accessible to people that would not otherwise have them.

The first time that I saw Melissa's organic vegetables at Wal-Mart, was about 4 years ago, so it's hardly a new thing.

Greg H.

----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>