livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of sheep/ New bunch of interestedpeople

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of sheep/ New bunch of interestedpeople
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:51:55 -0500

As an owner of Navajo Churros, I can attest that they really are easy
keepers. The first breed I had (Suffolk/Hamp X) nearly put me off
sheep-keeping. But the Churros have been wonderful. I've yet to have to
help with a birthing and have lost only one lamb in five years and had only
two lambs chilled that needed help. In both instances the mother made a
choice to care for a stronger lamb and once the weaker lamb was warmed and
started she was willing to take it back with a bit of work. Maintaining
livestock does mean a certain amount of work and with Churros I've found it
to be foot work if you don't have rocky soil that will keep their feet worn
down. One way to help with this is to lay a path they regularly use with
stone, but you may still have to do regular foot work. Other than this
tho', they are remarkably easy to care for and quite personable. In seeking
self sufficiency, their heavy duty wool can be put to a variety of uses
around the homestead that don't require skilled fiber working knowledge. It
can be felted to make night time winter greenhouse covers, winter window
covers and a variety of other things and felting doesn't take much in the
way of time or skill.

Claudia