livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of sheep/ New bunch of interested people

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frosted-acres@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of sheep/ New bunch of interested people
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 02:34:02 -0700 (PDT)

Ah yes, the Navajo Churro-- I am considering them, as
well.. but I don't have the localized network of fiber
production in this area. At least with the hair
sheep, I can work at developing the meat market witout
wondering what to do with the fiber!!!
And that is something else anyone wishing to
maintain self sufficiency needs to consider-- the
amount of work that goes into RAISING livestock. The
Churro is supposedly an easy keeper, lambs easily, and
has good mothering instincts. They are not throwing
litters of 3-6 the way other woolly breeds do--after
almost a year of getting ready for my first sheep, I
still find it hard to think of an ungulate as having a
"litter" The "litters" are a result of MAN's desire
to have a higher head count-- but with increased
litter sizes also comes smaller birth weights, higher
mortality, and more work raising the babies-- usually
on a bottle.

Terry W