livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] compost

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Soilsecrets@aol.com
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] compost
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:20:25 EDT

Bob C

Your reasoning for using the septic product is certainly logical, but I'm sorry to say it is not valid.  The product will contain the digestive enzymes such as Cellulase for complex carbohydrates, Protease for proteins and Lipase for fats, but in amounts that are not significant unless your compost heap is very small.  The FCC units of these enzymes is in mathematical proportion to the caloric value of the three sources of calories contained in the compost.  You simply cannot get enough enzyme value from the septic tank product to achieve your objective.  My company manufactures septic tank cleaners and lake cleaners using bacteria and enzymes so I have first hand experience and knowledge of this process.

While it is true that our soil is mineral, you can overdose with some trace minerals to the point of toxicity.   If your compost is made from high quality course organic debris, it in itself is re-mineralized material which is going to provide plant available minerals.  Careful with the kelp and molasses, you can reach a point cascading failure.  In my 30 plus years of consulting, teaching and manufacturing I've seen this mistake many times.

Dr. Michael