livingontheland - [Livingontheland] compost

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <bob@4agoodauction.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] compost
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:42:43 -0600

Septic Tank microbes are not the proper bacteria of composting as the
bacteria used in septic tank products are water borne facultative anaerobes, which
are the wrong bugs for composting. Don't waste your money using septic tank
microbes on compost piles!

Molasses: The calorie of choice for the proper bacteria of soils is from
protein not sugar. While molasses is certainly a source for trace minerals as
is kelp, trace minerals need to be used in a guarded manner as they are
needed in trace amounts only. It is very easy to overdose the soil and plants with
Trace Minerals using products such as kelp or Molasses. Also, putting
molasses into compost tea tanks can cause an overgrowth of the Facultative
Anaerobes like E. coli and other nasty beasties.

Dr. Michael Martin Melendrez

All though you are correct in the microbe bit on septic that is not the reason for sprinkling septic starter on the compost heap. Most starters are the digestive enzymes from pigs. The enzymes break down the fats, carbohydrates cellulose into smaller and more digestable packages for the compost bacteria to work on. Effecient methods that obtain functional results for serious gardners based on experience is what was offered. Diastatic malt is another ammendment I use directly on the soil and that also will give visible results. Kelp works and the trace minerals are not all used up at the time of the composting so the minerals remain available for the plants that do use them. The feed molasses is a great source of concentrated mineral as it is a concentrated grass juice and about 25% protein and of course it has a good deal of that readily available carbohydrate in simple sugar form.
The composte I make is humus for my garden plants which are mostly vegetable. I want the maximum amount of mineral in the vegetables I eat. My body is old and thrives on good vegetables and is sensitve to what methods give the best result.
I appreciate your arguments, although for me, I will need to stay with what works the best. Please share with me your experience in the field as Mother nature judges the validity of argument with detachment. I can not eat and get nourisment from words. As far as overdosing with mineral -hey- what are we planting in? Could it be dirt? composed of maybe some minerals?Bob C