livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Doller value of own labor ( was Ethanol a net energy loss )

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Greg and April" <gregandapril@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Doller value of own labor ( was Ethanol a net energy loss )
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:47:02 -0600

Paul,

I see, knowing the value of your own labor, as an issue directly tied to sustainable farming practices.

I understand their can be a problem with people not adding in their labor, but, can anyone tell me what their labor is worth?

The part I am having a real hard time trying to understand, is how are people supposed to put a dollar value on something that they don't get paid for, and I don't care if it is you, or anyone else that can help me understand.

If people work a job, then they get paid according to the law of demand and supply - or fair market value. Trading skills and knowledge for money.

Yet, if someone uses their own labor for something, then they are paid ( in savings ) exactly what someone else is paid ( in money ) to do that exact same job. Correct?

What about hobbies like gardening?

If you pick a 5 dozen ears of corn from a garden then you save the cost of having someone to pick the same 5 dozen ears of corn.

If that corn has market value of $5 per doz, and it took you one hour to pick that 5 dozen, then that is has a labor value of $25 / hr, just for picking it. Now if it took an hour to plant and weed and other wise take care of that 5 dozen ears of corn, that means the labor value of $12.50. So far it's reasonably simple. Now it get difficult, did you spend any time taking care of the tools used? Did you make and spread compost, on the soil that the corn grew in, or did you just grow a green manure? How much time was spent doing those things?

How does one figure the value of their labor for a project when there are so many secondary things that go into it?

Ok, let's forget corn.

Compost.
Many people here on the list use compost ( dare I say all? ).

You go down the local garden center, and find out that compost is $3.00 a bag, for 1.25 cu ft of compost. You know that your raised beds needs 20 cu ft of compost so that means you need 16 bags of compost. Wait a minute that means that you need $48 ( $2.40 / cu ft ), but you don't have that much money. OTOH, you do have time, so you go ahead and make your own compost.

Can anyone here tell me how much labor they use to make a known quantity of compost? How much time goes into collecting, the materials, how much time and effort goes into chopping them up, layering in the right proportions, and making sure it's kept damp, and time spent with the weekly mixing? Do you use a chipper / shredder to prep all the materials? Do you know how much labor you put into maintaining the chipper / shredder - to fuel it - get the fuel for it?

After 2 years, I am still having problems keeping young rabbits alive, and currently the value of my labor in them, is still in the cents / hour category. Obviously, not much of a money maker right now, but, with price of rabbit meat up to around $4.00 lb, if I ever get everything figured out, the value of my labor will go up big time, but, I still could not calculate just what the total value would be, because I do so many little things that contribute to the end product.

I don't think that anyone here would argue that sustainable farming / gardening practices are bad, but, how does one figure the true value of the labor that goes into a sustainable practices let alone anything else?

Greg H.

----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>