livingontheland - [Livingontheland] greenhouses

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Amanda Peck" <ap615@hotmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] greenhouses
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:49:43 -0600

I love the story of the Nebraska farmer growing oranges. Bookmarked it.

And I'm glad to see something on earth tubes for something other than heavily insulated houses. Bookmarked that one too, will send it off to an Australian who is experimenting with earth/cool tubes. If I can find some way to do the ditches safely I may try it myself. But deep and very narrow ditches are something to be quite wary of, if the sides collapse one could be buried.

Don Stephens who talks about AGS--created the acronym--is on a handful of Yahoo Groups, including Organic Architecture, I believe, so that's a good place to go too.

Look up Solviva for a description of a chicken heated greenhouse on Cape Cod. At one stage she was planning sell some or all of her operation, but there's still a web-site--and a book that is still in print.

http://www.solviva.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966234901/103-4441361-7626258?v=glance&n=283155

  • [Livingontheland] greenhouses, Amanda Peck, 03/28/2006