livingontheland - RE: [Livingontheland] the making of a disaster

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Michele May" <mmay.lmft@cox.net>
  • To: "'self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security.'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Livingontheland] the making of a disaster
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:51:45 -0500

"My guess is consumer demand is probably all that's going to decide the
future of food."

I agree and therefore want to make some efforts here. Does anyone have
a website with a link list by state of the organic farms in the US?
Maybe one can be started, featuring the farms and their techniques. I
wonder if regular searches via Google will then produce more results.

Is there any org promoting Organic farms? IS there any money out there
to produce information in a variety of forms for kids or even better to
buy space at the local market. We have a "natural" foods section but it
is lacking produce. The only organic produce I saw was at health food
stores or wrapped in plastic and mixed inconspicuously with the other
produce.

People are so trained to be herded consumers rather than initiating
options and aggressively searching for alternatives. Not to judge but
it seems to have become too easy for everyone. The most common drawback
for families is the pricing of the foods. How to get mainstreamed....

I heard a good story the other day from the center for constitutional
rights, where the woman speaking said something to the effect of when
you pick up your next melon and ask your nearest shopper neighbor is it
ripe, ask her do you know....

I have actually used this technique and have helped guide people to try
foods they never have. I wonder if we market on the principle of the
current techniques and do it actively in person, each one of us. Maybe
we need to reach out inviting people to farm markets or have one at
several prominent town locations and more often. I find when my
neighbors know its me, they are very happy and almost invite themselves
to just be a part of the fun. The awareness and learning comes easily
from that platform.

I think there is a stigma attached or almost an exclusionary feeling
some have to overcome in order to break from the "usual and customary."
I wonder if I can use the holiday parties I have and go to as vehicles
for information and awareness sharing. I'm thinking of going beyond the
trying to be chummy t-shirt and a bumper sticker approach, which of
course I like, but it doesn't grab everyone. I wonder if organic snacks
can be marketed to quick stop food stops. It might be expensive, but in
the long view, item marketing by attaching information and website
addresses to products might gather some interest. I love to read my
labels!

I'm going to think about all the places I stop and eat and drink from
time to time, which is getting rare due to their selections. Maybe I
can muster up some momentum to get these small businesses to offer
healthy snacks for everyone. I wonder if private school parents and
college students can make the demand and advance this process. Most
college kids find themselves routinely getting ill from the "Marri rot"
food dished out. I wonder!