labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Scionwood

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Scionwood
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:17:43 -0500

Biz wrote;

I saved seeds from several red flesh varieties to grow out into seedlings / graft onto mature tree for faster fruiting / see what kind of apples I get. Instead of getting tucked safely into the fridge in early December, they were accidentally stored inside a cupboard and are now bone dry. Can I still put them into the fridge to stratify, then try and get them to sprout? Or not bother and waste time? Whadayathink? Tom, this seems to be in your area of knowledge.

Hi Biz,

Margie sent me apple seeds (Antivoka) that had been dried and stored in the fridge for 10 years and when I put them in damp peat moss in the fridge they sprouted.  Germination rate was still in the 90% range after 10 years.  I had the Cub Scouts then grow them out.

I do not know if this is scientifically true but I believe when a seed ripens it is loaded with a hormone that keeps it dormant.  Cold breaks down the hormone in the seed that keeps it dormant.  Then when the proper growing conditions arise (cool/damp like spring soil) the tap root emerges.

Soak you seeds in water overnight to fully rehydrate them and place them in a glass jar in the fridge with damp peat moss.  After 50-60 days start checking it daily to see if tap roots have emerged.  As each seed sends out a tap root, take that seed and plant it in soil and keep it on your window sill.  Plant it outside when temps are right.   Sometime in February is best to start this process so that you can almost avoid the window sill entirely.

If the seeds have died you have only lost a little peat moss.

Later,