labruscagrape - [OFEX] apple seeds

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] apple seeds
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:25:06 -0500

(I am sending this to OFEX a second time as the formatting was lost on the first posting and it ran off the page to the right.)

Hi Biz,

Margie sent me apple seeds (Antivoka) that had been
dried and stored in the fridge for 10 years and when I
 put them in damp peat moss in the fridge they sprouted.
Germination rate was still in the 90% range after 10
years.  I had the Cub Scouts then grow them out.

I do not know if this is scientifically true but I believe
when a seed ripens it is loaded with a hormone that keeps
it dormant.  Extended cold breaks down the hormone in the seed
that keeps it dormant.  Then when the proper growing
conditions arise (cool/damp like spring soil) the tap root
emerges.

Soak you seeds in water overnight to fully rehydrate
them and place them in a glass jar in the fridge with
damp peat moss.  After 50-60 days start checking it
daily to see if tap roots have emerged.  As each seed
sends out a tap root, take that seed and plant it in soil
and keep it on your window sill.  Plant it outside when
temps are right.   Sometime in February is best to start
this process so that you can almost avoid the window
sill entirely.

If the seeds have died you have only lost a little peat moss.

Later,