labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Espalier?

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Espalier?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 11:07:41 -0400

Hi Joe,

Can I ask a question as to how you would deal with this espalier in regards to future training and graft locations? (Grafted rootstock I cannot recall, scion was  Baskatong crabapple)

Since it is located between the house and the sidewalk I have to keep it pruned back.  I prune as needed, throughout the season as you recommended.

The two top branches that form the “V” will be tied down to the top crossbar.  This variety prefers to weep down.

I believe my grafting challenge (in addition to inexperience) will be timing.  This tree is located on a south facing, masonry wall, with a sidewalk in front of it.  Climate-wise it runs anywhere from two to three weeks ahead of the seasonal norms for our area.  This tree has leaves when other trees are simply waking up for spring.

Your suggestions.

Thanks,