labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Espalier

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Espalier
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 09:44:13 -0400

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for the second photograph. It really helps to see the pictures.

Your apple espalier seems to be coming along nicely. If one was to compare the two in terms of growth, fruit production, etc, how old is the pear espalier in the previous photo versus the apple? Since I recall that you use the Lorette system for pruning, do you get much re-growth from the July to August pruning, and does it settle down once you get more tiers? We had what can be described as explosive growth on the pruned branches with just a few weeks. However, we are still working on the two lower tiers and allowing the leader and branches above the second tier to grow pretty much unchecked. ( I want all that energy for root growth and winter endurance. )

Do you prune back the re-growth to the original July pruning cut? Rub off the emerging growth before it gets going? Or, use the same Lorette technique on the new growth and prune two leaf buds above the whorl. ( Did I ask the question right? ) It seems that the final option makes for fairly long secondary branches, which eats up lots of space between trellis wires. Mine are spaced about 18 inches apart, so we could lose the visual lines of the trellis quite easily.

This leads to another detailed question – how do you handle tip bearers on a horizontal trellis system? Do you just stay away from them completely? Do you have any, and how to you prune them to avoid making that tier look rather droopy compared to the neighbouring tiers?

Just one final question – how long are the side branches on your trellis’d trees? The reason for the question is that we have our trees planted 6 feet apart, on a v-e-r-y long, continuous trellis. Once those branches hit 3 feet, they start to touch/overlap their buddies on either side. Is this an esthetic decision or are there fruit production issues? If we were starting again, I’d plant them 8 feet apart …

And to wrap up this espalier inquisition (!) – did the Ashmead’s Kernel graft successfully for you, or shall I put you down for scionwood this coming winter? Interested in Niedswetskyana Crab – which produces medium size fruit in an amazing dark red / almost black skin, with dark red flesh?

Cheers, Bizmark.