labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Cassis

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Cassis
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:31:39 -0500

Hi Biz,

We did not have a pressure cooker either, but as crazy as it sounds I bought
one on E-bay for under $5. I have run some tests with it, and it is an
interesting device.

Baked potato (med-lg) 8 minutes

Pork chops (4) with rice (1 cup) 5 minutes

Today they have a new name for pressure cookers "infusion" cooking and
charge a fad price of $300 for an infusion cooker. The pressure forces the
flavoring into the food, hence "infusion".

I saw I new four quart pressure cooker in Home Hardware for $49.99 new.

The only drawback to a pressure cooker for me, Is I cannot leave it
unattended while on heat. I think of them as the microwaves of the
1940-50's. The newer models are much safer. Some of them are even
programmable electric appliances.

I have read that under the standard 15 psi of pressure you can reduce food
to mush if left too long in a pressure cooker. This would be bad for
eating, but an interesting experiment for winemaking/Cassis, as it would
release every bit of flavor from the fruit.

I have not started my fruit experiments yet.

Later,
Tom