labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Grafting

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "joe calico" <jcalico@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Grafting
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:53:33 -0500

Tom, I did read about graffe of plums on "nut-tree stocks". Although I
can't prove it, I am almost certain that the term 'nut' refers here to the
almond tree. It is a fact that almond is compatible with the stone fruits
like plum, peach, apricot, etc. In fact, as a young kid growing up in
Portugal I remember an uncle of mine (God rest his soul) who had a bout 5
acres of almond trees growing in a rather arid setting (the Algarve -
southern Portugal is sub Saharan). In any case, his almonds would survive
the long hot summers unirrigated. However, plums, peaches, etc would not.
What he did was to graft many different varieties of stone fruits onto
almonds and thus was able to have a plethora of fruit varieties without
irrigating. Clever or what.

Anyway, my elders always maintained that it was impossible to graft the
apple/pear/quince family onto the stone fruit family and vice versa. But,
who knows ...

As for other compatible families, certainly I have experience with pears,
apples and quince grafting onto one another. I believe sorbus is also
compatible but I have never grafted that one.

As we all know, there are many other groupings with close enough brothers
that they will graft onto one another. One that comes to mind here and
which I work quite a bit is lilacs onto privet hedge; yes privet hedge. As
you may know one of the problems of lilacs is that they sucker like crazy
and instead of ending up with a lilac tree you end up with a ticket.
Lilacks are also susceptible to lilac borer. However, graft a lilac onto a
privet rootstock and the problem is resolved.

Another example that comes to mind is the affinity between meddlers and
hawthorn. A buddy of mine in Chicago does just that. In fact, about three
weeks ago I received one of his prized hawthorn fruits by snail mail. Oops,
did I just say that? I hope Margie isn't listening.

Joe