labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Grafting

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "joe calico" <jcalico@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Grafting
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:46:11 -0500

Tom, further down in the article which you referenced there be this excerpt (italics just below here)…  Who ever heard of grafting plums onto apple rootstock?  Me thinks either I don’t ‘capiche’ or the writer is full of it …?

Joe

"It is not long since, that in the realme of Granado and Andalusia, they began to graffe plums upon apple-tree stocks, and those brought forth Plums named Apple-plums: as also others called Almond-plums, graffed upon Almond stocks; these have within their stone a kernell like an Almond: and verily there is not a fruit againe wherein is seene a wittier devise to conjoyne and represent in one and the same subject, two divers sorts."