labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Grafting

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Grafting
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:33:06 -0500

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:46:11 -0500, joe calico <jcalico@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Who ever heard of grafting plums onto apple rootstock?

Hi,

The author was Pliny the Elder and it comes from his encyclopedia "The History of the World" which documented knowledge of the time. Hed died in Pompeii, his curiosity getting the better of him. While others fled from the area, he travelled towards it.

Pliny also wrote; "But there is a peculiar braverie and a shamelesse, which those Plums have by themselves that are graffed in Nut-tree stocks; they retaine the face and forme still of the mother graffe, but they get the tast of the stocke wherein they are set, as it were by way of adoption: of them both they carrie the name, and are called Nut-plums."

In know that "compatabiltiy" is the issue. The same issue that dwarfs apple trees. I also know my great grandmother grafted pear onto apple, and it survived many years. She was the wonder of the neighborhood. The graft broke off during the hurricane of 1938 I believe.

Regarding Pliny... Maybe something is lost in translation, but as translated it sounds pretty matter of fact, how they accomplished it, or if they were "nut" stocks as we understand them I do not know.

During Pliny's time "nut-stocks" may have been common knowledge and not a nut at all. However, it makes a person wonder.

I have written in the past about Cato who gives detailed instructions for grafting, and he is specific about wrapping the graft in Greek Willow. Willow is now known to contain hormones that inspire callousing, and rooting.

They had no research centers then, just trial and error, and observation.

Later,