labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Upside down tomatoes

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Upside down tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:52:56 -0400

Hi Bert,

First it is an experiment, second is space. I wanted another row of tomatoes and saw this technique.

The benefits are supposed to include;

no staking - plants will not fall over in wind
rain, or due to excessive growth.

no weeding - love that

out of the way - run my lawn mower right under them

no soil borne disease - since they are off the ground
many soil borne diseases cannot splash on leaves. You
must use new bagged soil for this aspect to work.

no bending to pick, or inspect the plants

It is a less vigorour plant, but not so much you would consider it a failure.

If you just want a plant or two, to provide fresh table tomatoes, with little fuss, it seems a perfect solution.

Tom