labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] black currants / cassis

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] black currants / cassis
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:32:32 -0500

Hello Biz
I saw no reply to your question, thus my note. I have Ben Lamond from cuttings sent to me by Tom, also an unknown black which I enjoy eating. Taste is subjective. We also have Crandall & Josta. The Crandall bears more fruit and I like the taste better'n Josta
Do you want some wood?                   Cheers              Bert

Bert Dunn  Box 352  Schomberg Ont   L0G 1T0  Zone 4b/5a

My question is about the different varieties of black currants, and who has feedback about them. Based on the bloom scent, and other physical properties, I'm quite confident that we have the Crandall or clove currant. Any comments on the others like Ben Sarek, etc?
If anyone has a great tasting black currant bush, I'd love to get a cutting or two.
Cheers, Bizmark.