labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] black currants / cassis

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] black currants / cassis
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:37:54 -0500

Happy forthcoming holidays to everyone.

I have a mini-report and a question or two about currants - which is still somewhat on topic for the recent currant postings.

Last weekend my best half proceeded wih step two of the cassis recipe from the French cookbook. We began with about five jars of currants that had been steeping in vodka since the summer. Once we'd completed all the mashing, adding sugar, more vodka and cooking, we were left with two bottles of heart warming cassis. This year's was even more flavour intense than the previous batch. You can decipher a top note, with a long finish. Really yummy. We left it fairly thick, not quite syrup, but close. After wrapping the cedars in burlap, in sub-zero temps, it was great to have a shot. Forget the commercial concentrate - I'm voting for a daily toot of the homemade stuff to help ward of virus action. Not bad for about three or four hours of berry picking.

My question is about the different varieties of black currants, and who has feedback about them. Based on the bloom scent, and other physical properties, I'm quite confident that we have the Crandall or clove currant. Any comments on the others like Ben Sarek, etc? We are definitely going to add a row of about 8 to 10 black currant bushes next to the garage and I'm hoping for advice about other varieties. We still intend to use the berries for jams and cassis.

If anyone has a great tasting black currant bush, I'd love to get a cutting or two.

Cheers, Bizmark.