labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] strawberries

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] strawberries
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:05:02 -0500

Hi,

Makes perfect sense.

It is still flowering, but I am not hand pollenating.

Later,
Tom

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:52:40 -0500, Luffman, Margie <luffmanm@AGR.GC.CA> wrote:

Hello Tom. I have been away so I am late replying to your question. This
is normal for a 'day neutral' strawberry, that is, one which does not
need a specific day length (like our normal June bearers) in order to
initiate flower buds which will result in fruit. Regular June bearers
require a short day; therefore flower buds are initiated in the shorter
days of late summer and early fall. Day neutrals will initiate flower
buds at any time, so assuming the flowers do not get hit by frost and/or
there are pollinators, they will fruit continuously. Hope this makes
sense.

Margie