labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Missouri Currant/Ribes missouriensis

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Missouri Currant/Ribes missouriensis
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:11:28 -0500

Hi Joe
She gave me no e-mail address, so I called Bell info - they have no listing for that name in McLeese Lake. Thus I'll write her a letter, ask to buy some cuttings .
Will report to you if/as/when I hear back.
Many years ago we bought what the nursery called Golden Currant (they are now out of business) Nice flowers in spring, very few  fruit, not very tasty. It suckers hither & yon , much wider area than other currants we have.
                 Cheers                        Bert

CheersSent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:34 PM
Bert:     re letter to you from Barb Scharf, in responce to your enquiring regarding the subject seed.
Her description of the fruit is somewhat different than what my plants are producing; the colour is the same but the size of the fruit is no where near the size of gooseberries. Mine are mostly the size of a small peas except for the one we have taken cuttings from. The fruit from the one we took the cuttings from is bigger than the others but still not the size of a gooseberry. Its likely she has purchased a cultivar of some kind and the seed does not come true to the one she purchased. The flowers on my plants are yellow; I have not noticed the red centre though. There is two descriptions below I gleaned from the internet; the last paragraph of the 2nd one is likely what we have. Possibly we could get some hardwood cuttings from her. Let me know what you think.
    Joe