labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Fw: Quince trees/shrubs

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Fw: Quince trees/shrubs
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:53:19 -0400

Hi Margie,

I would absolutely love to have some of the quince, as well. I spoke to someone at Humber Nurseries a few weeks ago, and they were under the impression that the quince would be arriving mid to late APril. They weren't certain which varieties - though last year they had three or four. Glen Huron nurseries has sold them previously, though I can't say for certain about this year. I'm also looking for medlars, which are not that well known. I'm rather keen to try the bletting process with them, since they supposedly taste like cinnamon apple sauce, after the bletting. If anyone knows of anyone growing them, or have tasted them, I'd love to know.

Tom, I'll check the orchard for seedlings when I'm up next weekend - or is that too late?

Cheers, Bizmark
( with tired feet from attending a quilt festival this weekend in Chicago, with 300 plus vendors ! )

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luffman, Margie" <luffmanm@AGR.GC.CA>