labruscagrape - [OFEX] Apple seedlings found

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Apple seedlings found
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:51:53 -0400

Hello,

I have located three apple seedlings for inarching onto the Northern Spy. Thanks for all your efforts.

They can be planted now (dormant), but I cannot graft them until the bark is slipping (sometime in May).

All I can do short term is;

1) reduce canopy by removing a couple of limbs
2) clean up wound by taking the bark back to solid bark
3) plant sedlings as close as possible

The reason this tree was hit by the rabbit was totaly human.

All the trees get wrapped with empty seed bags, and bailing twine except this one in winter. This tree had wild blackberries growing under it (a cane or two), which my mother inlaw did not want disturbed. Do you think I will have to disturb them to plant the seedlings for inarching?

Empty seed bags make great winter tree protection. We take a pair of shears and open the seams, biving you a large wrap. They are usually 2-3 ply, with one of them being plastic. We place the white side out when wrapping, to eliminate sun scald.

The seed bag wraps cover the trunks 2-3 wraps, from the soil line up about 2 feet. Rabbits have not touched it yet, and mice do not bother it either. Possibly the innoculant residue from the winter wheat seed does not smell good to them.

Next year the nothern spy will have winter protection for sure.

Later,

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.