internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Purchase

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Cristóbal Palmer <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Purchase
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:08:29 -0400

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM, <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Thanks to both John and Scott!  Right now I'm looking at a Dell.  Consumer
> Reports gives them great marks for just about everything, including
> service-- and come to think of it, I've never needed service for any Dell
> that I've ever had...

I recently assisted two different friends in repairing their Dell
laptops. One had a failed keyboard (fixable), while the other had a
failed power connector (not fixable under reasonable cost
constraints).

I recently tried to buy a Dell laptop and waited nearly a month before
Dell canceled my order against my explicit request. After over an hour
on the phone and quite a bit of frustration, I gave up on Dell and
bought a refurbished Lenovo T400. I'm much happier now.

Last bit of advice before I wander off: if you're getting Vista, get
at least (yes: at least) 4GB of RAM. You will be happy that you did
so.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"The fun thing is to try to persuade others to share your opinions