internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Purchase

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Purchase
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:25:17 -0400

On Jun 18, 2009, at 1:33 PM, <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com> <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com > wrote:

We use Windows, Outlook, the MS Suite, Visio, and MS Project at work, and I'd like to move documents between machines seamlessly. Is this easily done?

I also have the install disks for all of these applications for a Windows machine. I would assume that there is a different version of them for a Mac. Is this the case?

If you're married to those products then likely OS X isn't the right choice. Outlook and Office aren't an issue on the Mac. MS Project doesn't exist and would need to be run inside a VM. VMs are great but for an application you work frequently in they do add an extra layer of crap to deal with.

Yes, you would need OS X binaries to install. You couldn't install the Windows versions unless you decided to use a VM on OS X.

---- John Broome <jbroome AT gmail.com> wrote:
cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a laptop to replace my Compaq Presario R3000 which
had a hard drive crash. Does anyone have any brands to recommend or
avoid? This is for home use, so I won't be using it for any heavy
processing.

Macbook, either a new one or grab a used one off craigslist since people
are probably dumping theirs for new models.

Mine is great, and I'm not owning another windows machine evar again.
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1