internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Your Own Personal Fold-up Plane

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Your Own Personal Fold-up Plane
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:59:15 -0400

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com> wrote:

> [Sorry for slow reply!]
>
> There aren't many differences in the skills themselves and overall skill
> level requirements. However there are some differences in navigation
> techniques, air traffic control procedures, etc. So I'd probably
> require about 4-5 extra hours of training to convert my AU license into
> a US one. (Right now I'm about 10 flight hours into my training; it
> will take 40-50 total. One nice thing about the AU system is they don't
> have required ground school - you can just learn the theory along the
> way on your own.)

Actually, I don't believe ground school is required here either. What is
required is that you pass the test and most people do that by taking
ground school. One of my friends, however, didn't bother and just
did the studying himself and passed the test no problem.

> One difference that does exist is that the AU private license doesn't
> include visual night flying, as it's considered too unsafe given
> Australia's low population density and thus limited lighting. Night
> flying is a required part of the US private license, so I'd have to pick
> that up.

Ah, that makes sense.

> As with many things related to international standards, the US is far
> behind from full compliance with the International Civil Aviation
> Organization's (ICAO) requirements. So for some things I'll learn the
> ICAO way, and then if/when I come back to the US, have to learn the
> non-standard US way. *sigh*

Figures.

Cheers,
Tanner