internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Your Own Personal Fold-up Plane

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Your Own Personal Fold-up Plane
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:04:50 +1000

Susan LaBarre wrote:
Wow... more technology toys!! George Jetson, here we come...
And you only need a drivers' license!

The 'only need a driver's license' bit isn't quite true. With the light sport aircraft category, a drivers license replaces the flight medical that is required to be medically fit to fly an airplane, but does not replace the pilot's license. You still need a light sport pilot license, which is less rigorous than a private pilot license to be sure, but still involves quite a bit of training. This makes sense when you think about it - flying a plane is a heck of a lot different than driving.

Keep in mind that these light planes often can't carry any passengers, or if they can, only one passenger. The weight requirements are so strict that when a passenger is on board, there is not enough 'left' to carry very much fuel, or any luggage. And the areas and weather conditions in which you can fly are very limited. Still I agree they're cool.

--Jeremy, currently taking lessons for the *real* pilot's license.