internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Your Own Personal Fold-up Plane

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Your Own Personal Fold-up Plane
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:31:28 +1000

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com> wrote:

--Jeremy, currently taking lessons for the *real* pilot's license.

So, is there any difference in requirements for a private pilot's license
between the US and Australia?

[Sorry for slow reply!]

There aren't many differences in the skills themselves and overall skill level requirements. However there are some differences in navigation techniques, air traffic control procedures, etc. So I'd probably require about 4-5 extra hours of training to convert my AU license into a US one. (Right now I'm about 10 flight hours into my training; it will take 40-50 total. One nice thing about the AU system is they don't have required ground school - you can just learn the theory along the way on your own.)

One difference that does exist is that the AU private license doesn't include visual night flying, as it's considered too unsafe given Australia's low population density and thus limited lighting. Night flying is a required part of the US private license, so I'd have to pick that up.

As with many things related to international standards, the US is far behind from full compliance with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) requirements. So for some things I'll learn the ICAO way, and then if/when I come back to the US, have to learn the non-standard US way. *sigh*

--Jeremy