internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Sexy and Eco-Friendly Transportation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cmp AT cmpalmer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Sexy and Eco-Friendly Transportation
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:28:19 -0400

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Still, though, the "Green Crowd" (and I consider myself to be in that group)
> points and wags their fingers when they see the Suburban. Once I even asked
> a vehement objector to my vehicle "would you be happier if I got rid of the
> Suburban for a 1/2 ton truck?" Oddly enough, they replied, yes, it would be
> more acceptable as a mode of transportation for my needs. Really, that's
> fascinating. The *SAME EXACT VEHICLE*, only one with an enclosed body and
> one with an open bed is considered on one had to be "evil" while the other
> is not.
>
> I suppose it's better to keep my dogs in a kennel in the back of a truck in
> 100 degree weather exposed to the elements where he could be launched into
> outer space in an accident rather then keep him in an enclosed, protected,
> climate-controlled enviornment for a 3.5 hour drive.
>
> Yup. That's sensible.

You are absolutely correct that preferring the truck is nonsense.
Furthermore, you've made it very clear that you're not being wasteful
with your suburban. It was not my intention to indicate that you are.
Your earlier post asked why people would hate zero-emissions SUVs,
with the implication that disliking them would be irrational in the
same way that preferring the truck is irrational. I was merely
pointing out that there's still a reason to dislike them, since for
the vast majority of vehicle owners an SUV /would/ be wasteful. And if
you don't find the reason I supplied convincing, then here's another
reason to dislike them: they give people a false impression of safety
and endanger others on the road.[0] You may be a very safe driver with
your SUV, but the fact remains that, statistically speaking, SUVs make
our highways less safe for all of us. I don't think any less of you
because you own an SUV; I just happen to dislike SUVs, and I think my
dislike is well-founded. This isn't a big thing for me, either. I
don't give my friends who have SUVs lectures or dirty looks. That
would be pretty dickish, frankly. If somebody ever tries to get into
an argument with you about your SUV again I think you should tell them
you need the space to haul the dead bodies.

> I'll go back to my earth-hating ways of trying to cut my company's data
> center electrical useage by another 25%. I've ranted enough and I'm sure
> everyone is tired of it at this point.

We're not down on you, Greg. I'm sorry if my post came across that
way; I certainly didn't mean for it to. Thanks for the time, energy
and effort that you're putting into reducing your footprint. I
personally appreciate it.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But

[0] http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html