internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Sexy Transportation - Carsharing!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Sexy Transportation - Carsharing!
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:43:27 -0400

Ah, ZipCar. If it would only come to Raleigh..

$WIFE and I have been discussing the possibility of jettisoning one of our vehicles. Since I bike to work and we live in downtown Raleigh, we have no need for two cars. If ZipCar was here, the decision would be a no-brainer.

Since I'm not holding my breath on the Zipsters, I began pondering what it would take to start a local carsharing business. What ZipCar does is not magic: its a short-term car rental, right? Build some security bits and some reservation bits and leave the rest to Toyota. How hard can it be?

If any of y'all brainiacs want to help fill this idea out, shoot me a note and let me know your thoughts. Check out the links at the bottom of this Wikipedia article for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carsharing

Mark

Thomas Beckett wrote:
I wonder if the ZipCar service in San Francisco has a ZipPickup line of business as well? I bet that would be very lucrative.

TaB

Lance A. Brown wrote:
Stickin' my nose in for a sec.

How often do you have to be ding such projects in order for it to make sense having a larger vehicle? I know for myself, at least until I purchase a house and have space for a workshop, I need something larger than my car maybe twice a year. It doesn't make sense to drive a larger vehicle all the time just to have it available when I do need the space. Friends or rentals have covered such needs for me so far.

If I was constantly working on a fixer-upper house or some such, than things would be different. I expect lots of people drive more vehicle than they need, and with a 6-cylinder Honda Accord, I probably fit into that category myself currently.

--[Lance]