internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At YourCurrentAddress? Register Online!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lance A. Brown" <lance AT bearcircle.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At YourCurrentAddress? Register Online!
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:05:19 -0500

Jeremy Portzer said the following on 8/5/2008 7:50 PM:
Lance A. Brown wrote:
Tanner Lovelace said the following on 8/5/2008 12:59 PM:
It is quite a big endeavor and to make sure things don't go wrong the
entire process is purposely made as simple as possible. It's really only
the (thankfully few) edge cases where things can get complicated.
Edge case, in my opeinion, include just about every kind of totally electronic voting system we've seen so far in this country.

Tanner was talking about the job of an election judge in Durham County. They use optical scan ballots. I suspect that the edge cases he refers to are things like ballots getting jammed in the machine, or explaining to people who aren't properly registered how the provisional ballots work, or things like that. As the local polling place election judge, I doubt he is responsible for designing the system. :-)

I know. Someone else had widened the discussion (I thought) to issues other states have suffered through. I was commenting on that. Personally, I'm VERY glad we used optical-scanned ballots in NC and would fight any measure to replace them with electronic voting.

--[Lance]

--
GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
CACert.org Assurer