internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At YourCurrentAddress? Register Online!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At YourCurrentAddress? Register Online!
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:59:40 -0400

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:55 AM, <sovenall AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I worked as an election official for the first time in the primary this
> past May and I agree, it is a great way to spend election day. Incredibly
> fulfilling. You really feel like you have made a difference. I was an
> assistant, which is the person who takes your name and gives you an
> authorization to vote form. Anything hard or complicated falls to the chief
> judges like Tanner (hi Tanner!).

Actually, my official position is "Emergency Judge" which means I fill
in wherever
there is a judge vacancy. While I theoretically could fill in as a
chief judge, I have
not yet had to do that.

Oh, and for people who don't know anything about how NC handles it's
elections,
here's the quick overview:

Each polling place, by law, is required to have 3 election officials:
1 chief judge
and 2 party judges. By tradition, the chief judge is the party of the
sitting governor
and the other 2 judges are 1 democrat and 1 republican (sorry libertarians).
This is the minimum number of election officials that each polling
place may have.
In addition to that, though, many polling locations have assistants that
handle
everything from checking you in and giving you an "Authorization to Vote"
form (which is then traded for an actual ballot) to watching over the ballot
counter and handing out "I voted" stickers.

It is quite a big endeavor and to make sure things don't go wrong the
entire process is purposely made as simple as possible. It's really only
the (thankfully few) edge cases where things can get complicated.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace