internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Word Processor for Mouse Hater

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Word Processor for Mouse Hater
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 07:38:35 -0500

Jim Ray wrote:
Vim. The modern flavor. Weirdos use emacs.

We have trilug-ontopic for vi versus emacs warfare...

I think most of us understand that a text editor is not a word processing program. Especially one designed for writing software, regardless of whether it has psychoanalysis, adventure gaming and stock quotes built in.

Open Office is great, but it's not the answer. Try using it to write a document for ten or fifteen minutes, and you'll see. It's designed to be comfortable to people who have used Microsoft products, for the most part. And Microsoft thinks user interfaces should be impressive rather than useful, sigh.

Scott C.