internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] XML Question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: dave.m.parker AT gsk.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] XML Question
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:30:27 -0400

I found this in the contents of the file:

<document xmlns="urn:hl7-org:v3"
xsi:schemaLocation="urn:hl7-org:v3 http://www.fda.gov/oc/datacouncil/schemas/spl/spl.xsd">

They created it in something called Epic Editor. So do I need this application to view it? Opening the file in Word of course showed all the tags along with the actual copy of the manuscript. My next question is: if all this markup is used to describe a Web page (in effect), how can I view it as it means the browser to display it?

"Steven Champeon" <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
Sent by: internetworkers-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org

11-Oct-2007 10:50

Please respond to "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>

cc
Subject

on Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:40:07AM -0400, dave.m.parker AT gsk.com wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> Some folks here at my workplace want to start providing manuscripts as XML
> files instead of Word docs. I'm confused by this, because I thought XML
> was just a markup language. At any rate, I have these files named
> "whatever.xml" and I don't know how to view them; if everything works
> right the only content I should see is the manuscript text, which I should
> then be able to copy and paste into other applications.

XML *is* just a markup language (technically, a markup metalanguage, as
XML is just a set of rules for making markup languages); you'll need to
find out what DTD/schema they're using, and what application they're
using to create these docs before you'll be able to figure out how to open
and/or edit them.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/