internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:51:50 -0400

zman wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
Bothersome? Why?

We've already paid for it, both for cable and telcom. Tax breaks, subsidies, and free right-of-way. If they are to compete for real then they should pay.

Not to mention government granted monopolies through franchise
agreements.

If a town or city would like to improve their infrastructure they should be allowed.

My objection to this is only that when you talk about
"a city or town" you're typically talking about the
"city or town government" (I'm using "you" in an abstract
sense here, btw) which implies tax collection under threat
of force; this I totally oppose.

Take away the ability of government branches to
take our property from us at gunpoint, legalize
competition for services where the government currently
gives itself a monopoly, and I'm fine with letting
city and town governments compete. As long as
the playing field is level (eg, they aren't violating
anyone's rights through force or threat of force), I
don't care what they do.

TTYL,

Phil
--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/philliprhodes

And when the people complained, it
displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard
it; and his anger was kindled; and the
fire of the LORD burnt among them, and
consumed them that were in the uttermost
parts of the camp. Numbers 11:1
begin:vcard
fn:Phillip Rhodes
n:Rhodes;Phillip
adr:;;P.O. Box 16905;Chapel Hill;NC;27516;USA
email;internet:mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk
tel;home:919-928-0236
url:http://www.linkedin.com/in/philliprhodes
version:2.1
end:vcard