internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:33:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Jim Cook wrote:
Does anyone else find this bothersome?

Oh absolutely, the same way I find AT&T (and the other telcom companies) whining about infrastructure costs. They both have suckled at the teet of
the public for long enough. They both have enjoyed free right-of-way, subsidies, and tax breaks for long enough. I think they should all have to pay for what they get to use.

"The Local Government Fair Competition Act (HB 1587), introduced in the
N.C. House with bipartisan partnership in April, would not allow local
governments to use tax revenue to fund any kind of telecommunications
utility."

http://www.newsobserver.com/print/thursday/city_state/story/611549.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
Kulture http://www.kulture.us
Rod-O-Rama http://www.rod-o-rama.com
Vagabonds C.C. http://www.vagabonds.cc
'57 Buick Riviera, '60 International B100
'23 Buick Roadster, '90 Ducati 750 Sport