internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] protect the cable companies
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:32:31 -0400

Thanks for posting this, Jim. I've been working up a blog post but haven't completed it yet. I consider this bill a pre-emptive strike against community wireless projects that will increase the "digital divide."

The bill is currently in the House Finance Committee:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2007&BillID=HB1587

An RSS feed for tracking the bill's progress:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2007&BillID=H1587&view=history_rss

The House Finance Committee members:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Committees/Committees.asp?sAction=ViewCommittee&sActionDetails=House%20Standing_24

I have written Rep. Lubeke and Rep. Weiss of the committee as well as my representative, Rep. Martin. Weiss and Martin share my concerns that this bill will hurt rural communities. I did not hear back yet from the committee Chairman, Rep. Lubeke.

This is being heavily lobbied by Big Telecom. Your representatives need to hear from you NOW if you're concerned about this bill. Take a moment to email the Finance Committee members and your local representative and give them your thoughts.

Mark
www.markturner.net

Jim Cook wrote:
Does anyone else find this bothersome?

"The Local Government Fair Competition Act (HB 1587), introduced in the
N.C. House with bipartisan partnership in April, would not allow local
governments to use tax revenue to fund any kind of telecommunications utility."

http://www.newsobserver.com/print/thursday/city_state/story/611549.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/