internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] File transfer site?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] File transfer site?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:59:04 -0500

On 2/16/07, Bill Geschwind <geschwind AT earthlink.net> wrote:
Dude,

For some people on this list in some parts of this world that is still the
case, even in this day and age. Right now dial-up over a modem is all I have
been able to get and when I can get DSL installed it will be slow and
expensive. I'm talking 256k up/64k down for the equivalent of about
$170/month. I have been on a waiting list for that for over a month now and
have my fingers crossed to get it **any day now**.

Don't hold your breath. I was on the waiting list to get it at my previous
house in Durham for 4 years before I finally moved. I head out for a couple
of years waiting while they said they were trying to shorten my line length
to the CO. The final straw was when I called them back (as I did about
every 3 months) and they had lengthened my line length! I hung up and
called Time Warner cable. Within 2 days I had a high speed cable
connection and that included burying a line from the curb to my house
since there wasn't an existing line already. So, I basically have no faith
at all in DSL.

But then again, sipping a cold drink under a palm tree gazing along the
sandy beeches of the Gulf of Benin in 80-something degree weather with a
cool breeze is worth the tradeoff. ;-)

You're in West Africa? When did that happen? What are you doing there?
Do tell, please.

Cheers,
Tanner
--