internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Difference between LCD monitors and TVs?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael Williams" <michael AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Difference between LCD monitors and TVs?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:02:44 -0500

Potentially off-topic, but at least tangential: how well (or poorly)
do LCD TVs do at displaying standard def? I've read that they do
"worse than plasma," but don't have a referent for that and every
big-box appliance store with LCD TVs on display seems to be running HD
content to them (or, at least, I suspect it's HD). The only place I
could find an LCD HDTV displaying the same in-store demo video as was
running on the standard tube TVs was Target, where I was surprised to
see how good what I assume to have been standard def content looked on
the LCDs if that's supposed to be poor quality. Is the issue that I
don't understand what I was looking at (very likely) or that when
people say that LCDs don't do as good a job as plasma of displaying
standard-def sources they mean on a very relative, narrow scale?

--
Michael G. Williams
michael AT metalab.unc.edu