internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] iPhone is useless

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Karches <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] iPhone is useless
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:18:41 -0500

tony AT tonyspencer.com wrote:
Thats quite a bit bigger and you can't make a phone call on it.

On Jan 14, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Tom Karches wrote:

zman AT shell.neverwhere.org wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Jim Allman wrote:
Finally, if you're frustrated by the iPhone's apparent limitations,
you might want to look into the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet:

Why? It's huge, it's not a phone, did I mention it's huge...

The N800 measures 5.7 x 3.0 x 0.5 inches

The iPhone measures 4.5 x 2.3 x 0.45 inches

You can make VOIP calls, FWIW. Any pocket that would hold the iPhone would likely hold the N800. My point is that (in my opinion) it is not significantly less portable than the iPhone. It's also much more flexible if you are willing to make the size/cost tradeoff. It also does not tie you to a single wireless carrier. As long as your phone has Bluetooth and a data plan, it doesn't matter who your carrier is.

--Tom