internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Network Storage for the Home/Small Office

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Network Storage for the Home/Small Office
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:11:07 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Tony Spencer wrote:
Scott! What happened? :)

Nada

"Cons: Can be accessed from Windows XP and 2000 only"
Is that an untrue statement?

Quoted....
Fun part: not only does the Netgear SC-101 run its own services, it is even based on a Posix (unix/linux like) vxworks OS.
Run the firmware of the machine through a hexeditor and youll discover its just a complete ELF based program build with GNU compiler with lots of other information, including TI hardware details, Z-SAN technology from Zetera logo, default network settings, a plaintext default username/password, lots of html coding and other stuff.
Run a portscanner and it will show the machine is running webservices for each drive maped to its own ip address. The webservices are for configuration of the system with the Netgear utillity from a MSWin platform.

The D-link DNS 323 may be better for most
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509
But it's $200 and change...

But after looking at a few sites of people palying with the SC101 I figured I'd give it a shot, I may be out $30 though... :)

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1960 International B100
1923 Buick Roadster (Dual Quad 425" Nailhead) 1990 Ducati 750 Sport