internetworkers - [internetworkers] Network Storage for the Home/Small Office

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ken Pugh <kpughmisc AT pughkilleen.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Network Storage for the Home/Small Office
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:42:34 -0500

I'm looking at buying a network storage device for my home/office. Here are the uses, specs, and possiblities I've come up with.

Uses:
a.) First level backup for notebooks.
b.) Central storage for photographs/music/etc.

1.) RAID 1
2.) 500 GB minimum
3.) Low electric usage
4.) Quiet

Possibilities:

a.) Cheap computer with lots of storage. No hardware RAID. Probably could get software RAID
b.) DLINK DNS-323 - 2 bays
c.) Buffalo Terrastation
d.) Buffalo LinkStation
d.) Infrant ReadyNAS (e.g. NV+)

My questions:

1.) Anybody have any experience with any of the small NAS systems? I've taught for EMC, so I know about the big ones. They just won't fit my budget.

2.) Any suggestions for additional specs? (e.g. SATA, rather than IDE drives?)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ken