internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] multifunction printers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] multifunction printers
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:46:52 -0400

On Aug 11, 2006, at 1:30 PM, matusiak wrote:

I picked up a Canon PIXMA-MP800 last Fall, mostly with the intention of printing photos (just for fun -- not for professional work). If you start with a good image and print on Canon's photo papers the results are fairly decent (again, not exactly "pro" quality, but fun for giving instant photos to people).

My experience with the text printing is that the results are far below laser quality. From your description, I believe you really need to stick with a laser unit for the crispest possible text printing.

Dave is right in the sense that the critical-need detectors in ink- jet printers have far more ways of slamming you head first into a wall at the most important moments, but when it doesn't matter, they can produce text output that is laser-printer quality.

This article from the Feb 94 issue of the HP Journal is all about laser quality ink-jet text printing really helpful (written by members of HP's "black print quality seam team" )
http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/94feb/feb94a2.pdf .

Simon

// If you've got a problem; if no-one else can help; and, if you can find them, maybe you can hire the Seam Team.