internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Which are the best Free Content Management Systems?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Which are the best Free Content Management Systems?
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 16:56:27 -0400

On 5/3/06, Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com> wrote:
It will be a community for center for people with a particular
interest. Think of it as sort of a fan site. I'll want to have
discussion boards,

Joomla does discussion boards very well. Drupal also does
them, but from what I've heard and seen not nearly as well.
Probably because Joomla delegates it to SMF and Drupal
tries to do it in-house and it ends up just like being comments
to a blog.

syndicated articles/blog entries with the ability

Both will display syndicated titles. Not sure about full articles,
but I'd be surprised if not.

for people to comment and create ratings. i.e., give this artcle 4

No experience with this sorry.

stars or whatever. I'll want some members to be able to have mini home
pages on the site. I'll also want to have a capacity to set up simple

I think I've seen this on the Drupal site. I don't know if Joomla will
do this or not.

media file galleries for people to access and rate and discuss.

I think both will interface nicely to Gallery2.

Some other nice to haves are: calendars, i.e. create a calendar of
events around a topic.

From my experience, Joomla does event calendars MUCH MUCH
MUCH better than Drupal. As an example just take a look at
the current TriLUG page, which although it sorely needs one,
still doesn't have an event calendar with their drupal setup.
The Joomla site I'm currently testing for another organization,
however, has a fabulous event calendar that handles mutiple
events and will automatically rotate them off the upcoming list
when their time passes.

One thing I'm also interested in is creating content creation
workflows. I.e., the ability to schedule when content appears live but
still be able to work on it in draft mode before it comes live and
possibly track it through a work flow process before going live. i.e.,
author creates it in draft state, submitsit to an editor who then
approves the content and schedules it to go live at a certain time.
Kinda newspaper-ish.

Joomla will do this extremly easily. I'd be surprised if Drupal
couldn't too, but I haven't delved that far into it.

My advice would be to just set both of those up in a sandbox
and play with them for a while to see what works for you.
Also, if you're thinking about Drupal, you might look into the
Civicspace extensions. I haven't looked at them at all, but
they may give you everything you're looking for.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace