internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Which are the best Free Content Management Systems?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Which are the best Free Content Management Systems?
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 16:42:11 -0400

On 5/3/06, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/3/06, Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com> wrote:
> Joomla? Drupal? OpenCMS? plone?
>
> If I wanted to start a small community oriented site and use strictly
> off the shelf modules. (i.e., I don't want to develop modules I want
> to use them.) Which would be the easiest one to use?

What exactly do you want to do? Both Joomla and Drupal are
very easy to setup and use, but they're fairly different from each
other and it would depend on exactly what you want to do as
to which one I'd recommend.

It will be a community for center for people with a particular
interest. Think of it as sort of a fan site. I'll want to have
discussion boards, syndicated articles/blog entries with the ability
for people to comment and create ratings. i.e., give this artcle 4
stars or whatever. I'll want some members to be able to have mini home
pages on the site. I'll also want to have a capacity to set up simple
media file galleries for people to access and rate and discuss.
Some other nice to haves are: calendars, i.e. create a calendar of
events around a topic.

One thing I'm also interested in is creating content creation
workflows. I.e., the ability to schedule when content appears live but
still be able to work on it in draft mode before it comes live and
possibly track it through a work flow process before going live. i.e.,
author creates it in draft state, submitsit to an editor who then
approves the content and schedules it to go live at a certain time.
Kinda newspaper-ish.