internetworkers - [internetworkers] VISA ATM card fraud -- Do merchants save PINs?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kristen James Eberlein <kristeneberlein AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] VISA ATM card fraud -- Do merchants save PINs?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:58:09 -0500

From one of the links at http://tinyurl.com/k6w86:
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/030306/news_20060303053.shtml

"Hines, like several other locals who got the same news over the last several days, was the victim of a foreign fraud ring that reportedly hacked into a national retailer's database and acquired checking and debit card numbers, *as well as* the corresponding PIN numbers. [emphasis added]

"The thing that bothers me is, they had the PIN number for the card," Hines said. "It means the merchant is saving your PIN number when you do a transaction with them."

Does anyone know how common saving the PINs is?

More information about how frequently this is happening locally... The SECU officer told me that she had been primarily dealing with customers in this predicament for several days, and that the SECU fraud center had discovered 25 new such cases this morning.

K.

B Holroyd wrote:

*http://tinyurl.com/k6w86*
*for some recent news stories about VISA cardholder problems:*